95 years since the advent of electricity in Gozo
August 1st 1926 is a historical date for Gozo, as 95 years ago, electricity supply from the first power plant in Gozo in St Domenican Street in Victoria was inaugurated.
Works on this power plant started back in 1925, and costed 3516 Maltese liri, equivalent to just under 8,200 euro. The first power plant had two diesel alternator engines of 44kW each.
Many Gozitans were initially skeptical of this innovation. Albeit, this attitude was soon changed when those residing in Victoria became aware of the difference electricity made in their life, despite its limitations back in the day.
Initially only Victoria residents were privileged with electricity supply. Research suggests that in the first year from the inauguration electricity supply in Gozo, this service was only made accessible to 133 places.