The importation of liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) was also passed on to Liquigas Malta Ltd and currently Enemalta is solely responsible for the unolading, storing and bottling of LPG in cylinders and in bulk. This operation will be phased out as soon as Gasco Energy commissions the new storage and bottling plant in Benghajsa which is presently under construction.
An agreement was signed between Enemalta and Liquigas for the transfer of operations of the gas sector from Enemalta to Liquigas Malta Ltd. In the meantime the gas division was still responsible for the importation, storing and bottling of LPG.
A drasic reduction of labour involvement in the production of cylinders and consequently the hardship involved in loading and unloading of the trucks.
Enemalta and SNAM signed an agreement to carry out a feasibility study to establish the technical viability of laying a gas pipeline between Sicily and Malta. (SNAM is a subsidiary of ENI).
The decision was taken to start work on resiting the Installation. This was discussed with the Planning Authority and the necessary applications submitted.
Enemalta Corporation commissioned a feasiblity study of a pipeline connecting Sicily and Malta for supply of Natural gas.
During these three years four new spherical tanks of 300 metric tons capacity each and four cylindrical tanks of 140 metric tons each were erected, bringing the maximum storage capacity to 2860 metric tons. These cater for about two months supply.
The Gas Division within Enemalta embarked on the conversion of paraffin cookers to L.P.G.. This campaign was very successful.
During this year the supply of gas through the “town gas system” closed down for good.
The Ferro-Concrete Bottling Shed at Birzebbugia that was erected in 1958 was completely pulled down because it was declared dangerous by normal design and construction. A larger structure was taken in hand during the same year.
The first 148.97tons of L.P.G. arrived in Malta on board the ship Susanne Tholstrup. The amount was enough for three weeks supply. This year saw the first locally bottled gases in 15 kg. cylinders, these were offered to the general public. The first distributors were Messrs F. Borg and Messrs. Manduca.
The Plant at Birzebbugia was completed and ready to operate at full capacity. During this year the transition took place from the process of coal carbonization to the cyclic canalization of oil to produce town gas. The Old Marsa Gas Plant closed for good. Gas was being produced by the new Segas Oil gasification plant that was newly installed. During this year the Gasholder in Gzira was completed and taken over by the Gas Board. Besides, an undersea pipeline was installed at Qajjenza-Birzebbugia to be able to transfer L.P.G. from ship to gasholders.
Tenders were issued for the Installation of a Gas Plant at Qajjenza in Birzebbugia
Accountant Messina Ferrante prepared a report outlining details for a plant to supply bottled gas for 5000 consumers. He also reported on an installation of an L.P.G. plant for the importation of L.P.G. in bulk to supply propane through the existing mains and the maintenance necessary on the existing Town Gas Plant to upgrade it to a good working order.
In 1954 the Gas Board commissioned the first report on the condition of all the gasholders. The Report was prepared by Eng. Bradford of U.K.
The Gas Board began a subsidiary scheme of laying of gas services, installations and hiring of water heaters and cookers as part of their “Use Gas” promotion campaign.
The Gas undertaking of the Malta & Mediterranean Gas Company was vested in the Gas Board by the Gas Act (Act XXVI of 1952)
During these ten years Forestals Co. used to import pre-bottled gas from Italy.
1900-1950 For these years it was very difficult to obtain information locally, research is being carried out abroad.
In 1896 started the supply of gas lighting to the Sliema and Hamrun area. The work involved public lamps and private lighting.
During 1895 the Corradino Civil Prison was lit for the first time by means of the gas lighting system.
The Valletta and Kalkara stations were interconnected and the manufacture of gas was concentrated from the Marsa plant. This was part of the reshuffle to run the company more efficiently and on better economic basis.
In 1885 the Government commissioned a report on the Gas Supply to Malta. During this year a report by Robert Paulson Spice was presented to the Lieutenant Governor, Chief Secretary (Government of Malta) and Mediterranean Gas Company.
Malta and Mediterranean Gas Co. signed a new lighting contract. The government reserved the right of deducting any amount of the 848 public lamps existing in Valletta, Floriana and the three Cities that may be lit by electric light.
The M.&M.G. Co. and the government signed a subcontract for the extension of gas lighting to the Wharfs around the Grand Harbour in Valletta.
Researched by Max Farrugia Dip. LIS
Head of Library and Archives